Wednesday 27 May 2015

QUICK TEST UNIT 8

Hello girls!
As we have already finished unit 8, here you have two tests for further practice.
The key is below the tests.
Have a nice day!

TEST 1

GRAMMAR
1 Match 1–6 with a)–f).
1 If he was worried about you,          b     
2 We wouldn’t be here                 
3 If you’d passed your ‘A’ levels,             
4 I don’t know what I would’ve done if                  
5 She wouldn’t have bought the dress,                    
6 I think they might’ve done it                  

a) if they hadn’t invited us.
b) I’m sure he’d tell me.
c) if we’d asked them.
d) nobody had been at home.
e) if I’d told her it didn’t suit her.

f) you could’ve had a proper career.

2 Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in the box.
see      study      make     buy         set up     arrive        read     go           ask         find        stay
1 It’ll be great   to see   you.
2 He considered                 his own business but finally decided                 a better job.
3 I’d rather                 home and                 my book tonight.
4 You’d better not                 late this time!
5 She’s not keen on                 to shopping centres so it’s no use                 her to come.
6 I don’t have time                 English so I keep                 grammar mistakes.
7 I can’t afford                 a big house yet.

VOCABULARY
3 Underline the correct word and write the preposition that follows it.
1 It’s not always easy to make /  stick   to  your principles.
2 Before you do / arrive            a decision, you should assess the situation carefully.
3 He’s very tactful and is always sensitive / sensible            people’s feelings.
4 She is thoughtful and weighs / examines            situations carefully in meetings.
5 It goes / runs            my principles to be confrontational or aggressive.
6 They think he’s not assertive because he comes / puts            important decisions.

4 Complete the phrases.
1 I’m never very a l e r t in the mornings.
2 I had no job, I was at my l                e      .
3 Do you ever wake up with a s             of d             that you can’t explain?
4 She’s not that f                a             food. She’ll eat anything.
5 I left the gym with a s                in my s        .
6 He woke up at 3 a.m. He heard a noise and was suddenly w          a            .

5 Complete the sentences with the words in the box.
kill       once   time    feet     biding     pressed
1 I wandered round the departure lounge to   kill   time before my flight left.
2 He hasn’t put in for a promotion yet. He’s                 his time.
3 I must go. I’m a bit                 for time.
4 I only see him                 in a blue moon.
5 Why is she dragging her                 about taking this job? It’s a great opportunity.
6 It’s not a very nice flat but it’s all we can afford for the                 being.

PRONUNCIATION
6 Underline the stressed syllable in each word.
1 principles                           7 collaborative
2 despise                               8 assertive
3 diplomatic                          9 sensitive
4 direct                                 10 focussed
5 confrontational                  11 supportive
6 assess


FUNCTIONS
7 Match 1–6 with a)–f).
1 I don’t want you to get the wrong idea        b    
2 How would you feel                 
3 It would put my mind at ease if             
4 It’s just that you said you’d                   
5 I’d feel better              
6 Do you see                  

a) if we didn’t see each other so much.
b) but I need to ask you something.
c) where I’m coming from?
d) you told me where you were going.
e) give it back at the end of the month.
f) about that?


TEST 2

GRAMMAR
1 Match 1–6 with a)–f).
1 If he was worried about you,          b     
2 He would’ve done better              
3 We might not have come if                    
4 You wouldn’t be here               
5 If she’d applied for the job,                    
6 They wouldn’t know what to do if                        

a) if I hadn’t phoned you.
b) I’m sure he’d tell me.
c) they hadn’t insisted.
d) the car broke down.
e) if I’d been more supportive.
f) she could be in New York now.

2 Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in the box.
see      join         order      wait        worry     drink go look        eat          have       meet
1 It’ll be great   to see   you.
2 Mum won’t let me                 out tonight.
3 There’s no point                 about it now.
4                 a lot of meat isn’t good for you.
5 We’ve arranged                 lunch if I can persuade you                 us.
6 It’s not worth                 at cars now – we agreed                 until next year.
7 You’d better not suggest                 wine as she can’t stand                 it.
8 I’d rather                 you at the restaurant if you don’t mind.

VOCABULARY
3 Underline the correct word and write the preposition that follows it.
1 It’s not always easy to make /   stick   to  your principles.
2 It goes / runs            her principles to be unsupportive to her friends.
3 People say I’m not assertive because I come / put            important decisions.
4 You should follow / weigh            the pros and cons before deciding what to do.
5 What I admire about him is that he always arrives / makes            the right decision.
6 Before you do / come            a decision, you should analyse the situation carefully.

4 Complete the phrases.
1 I’m never very a l e r t in the mornings.
2 David was really o    the b          in the meeting. He had some brilliant ideas.
3 I’m afraid I d                   confrontational people with a p                  .
4 We’re total opposites. He’s bright and b                in the mornings – I’m g               .
5 When are you at y          s                     ?
6 He’s not that f                a             birthdays so he won’t want a present.

5 Complete the sentences with the words in the box.
kill       after       up           biding     his           being
1 I wandered round the departure lounge to   kill   time before my flight left.
2 Why is he dragging                 feet about moving to Italy? It’s a great opportunity.
3 It’s not a very nice place but we have to live there for the time                .
4 She hasn’t decided when to tell him yet. She’s                 her time.
5 I’ve told them to make their beds time                 time but they just ignore me.
6 I have to work late every night this week to make                 for lost time.

PRONUNCIATION
6 Underline the stressed syllable in each word.
1 principles                          7 collaborative
2 focussed                            8 assess
3 supportive                         9 confrontational
4 situation                            10 despise
5 sensible                             11 diplomatic
6 aggressive

FUNCTIONS
7 Match 1–6 with a)–f).
1 Do you see          b     
2 I don’t want you to get the wrong idea                
3 There’s something I’ve been                  
4 How would you feel if              
5 It would put my mind at ease if             
6 It’s just that you said you’d                   
a) I bought you a new one to replace it?
b) what I mean? 
c) meaning to talk to you about.
d) you told me what you think.
e) but I need to tell you something.
f) return them by Friday.


KEY TEST 1

1:       2a  3f  4d  5e  6c
2:       2 setting up / to find
          3 stay / read
          4 arrive
          5 going / asking
          6 to study / making
          7 to buy
3:       2 arrive at  3 sensitive to  4 weighs up
          5 goes against  6 puts off
4:       2 lowest ebb
          3 sense / dread
          4 fussed about
          5 spring / step
          6 wide awake.
5:       2 biding  3 pressed  4 once  5 feet
          6 time
6:       2 despise  3 diplomatic  4 direct
          5 confrontational  6 assess
          7 collaborative  8 assertive  9 sensitive  10 focussed  11 supportive
7:       2f  3d  4e  5a  6c


KEY TEST 2

1:       2e  3c  4a  5f  6d
2:       2 go
          3 worrying
          4 Eating
          5 to have / to join
          6 looking / to wait
          7 ordering / drinking
          8 meet
3:       2 goes against  3 put off  4 weigh up
          5 arrives at  6 come to
4:       2 on / ball
          3 despise / passion
          4 breezy / groggy
          5 your sharpest
          6 fussed about
5:       2 his  3 being  4 biding  5 after  6 up
6:       2 focussed  3 supportive  4 situation
          5 sensible  6 aggressive  7 collaborative  8 assess  9 confrontational  10 despise  11 diplomatic
7:       2e  3c  4a  5d  6f


No comments:

Post a Comment