Thursday 14 May 2015

QUICK TEST UNIT 4

Hello girls,
As we have finished unit 4, here you have two quick tests for further practice.
The key is below the tests.
Have a nice day!

TEST 1

GRAMMAR
1 Underline the correct alternative.
1 When we   got   / had got to the station, the train left /   had left  .
2 He was / ’d been waiting for her to call for an hour when the phone suddenly was ringing / rang. He hesitated / was hesitating for a moment and then had picked / picked it up.
3 They had / were having a picnic in the woods when it had begun / began to rain heavily. They ’d been jumping / jumped up and ran to the car.

4 I’d read / been reading my book for hours when I suddenly had noticed / noticed the time. I’d been missing / missed lunch!

2 Match 1–6 with a)–f).
1 I wish I                 c     
2 If only he                    
3 I wish she                    
4 I should                       
5 I wish I’d                     
6 I shouldn’t                  

a) have looked at more houses before I bought this one. It was a terrible mistake.
b) grown up in the city. Country life was very limited.
c) were lying on a beach now.
d) would give up smoking. He’d feel much better.
e) have taken on so much extra responsibility. I’m exhausted.
f) wouldn’t criticise her friends all the time. It’s quite upsetting.

VOCABULARY
3 Complete the words in the sayings.
1 Every c l o u d has a silver l i n i n g.
2 Where there’s l         , there’s h         .
3 Let’s c             that bridge when we c          to it.
4 When in R         , do as the R                do.
5 What g          around, c             around.
6 Nothing v                     , nothing g               .

4 Complete the sentences with the words from the box and underline the correct proposition.
pity         gutted     kick     thoughts      took  missed
1 It’s a   pity   I didn’t take   up   / off dancing when I was younger.
2 Are you having second                 about turning down / over that job?
3 I should’ve set in / up a software company with Dan in the 1990s. It was a                 opportunity.
4 He was                 when the lottery money ran off / out and he had to sell his house.
5 I could                 myself for not going to university when I finished school. I put on / off further study and now it’s too late.
6 She was brought up / on to love reading and                 to writing novels in her 30s.

PRONUNCIATION
5 Underline the word with a different vowel sound in bold.
1 wish     website     lyrics   pity
2 grown   Rome   bought   phone
3 settle   website   second    grew
4 take   manga   manual   magazine
5 brought   autobiography   thought   around
6 gossip   online   forum   blog

FUNCTIONS
6 Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
fan      keen       about     the          into         love I’m what       it             that        couldn’t
1 I’m a big   fan   of Manga comics. I grew up with them.
2                 I don’t like about blogs is                 most of them are nonsense.
3 I                 stand poetry when I was at school but I’m quite keen on                 now.
4                 thing I like                 website forums is that you find a wide range of opinions.
5 I’m not that                 on his music. The lyrics are so depressing.
6                 really not                 reading e-books. What I                 are real books made of paper


TEST 2

GRAMMAR
1 Underline the correct alternative.
1 When we  got  / had got to the station, the train left /  had left .
2 I’d read / been studying for hours when I suddenly had realised / realised it was after midnight. I’d been missing / missed dinner!
3 She was / ’d been waiting for the bus for fifteen minutes when it was starting / started raining. So she took / was taking out her mobile and called / had called for a taxi.
4 When they ’d been arriving / arrived at their hotel, the sun set / had set and a silvery moon was rising / rose in the sky.

2 Match 1–6 with a)–f).
1 I wish I                 c 
2 I wish I’d                     
3 I shouldn’t                  
4 If only she                   
5 I wish he                      
6 I should                       

a) would take up sport. She’d be much fitter.
b) have bought this house. It’s not at all suitable for me.
c) were lying on a beach now.
d) wouldn’t smoke so much. He wouldn’t cough all the time.
e) have accepted that job. It was perfect for me.
f) grown up in the country. City life was very unhealthy.

VOCABULARY
3 Complete the words in the sayings.
1 Every c l o u d has a silver l i n i n g.
2 Where there’s s            , there’s f         .
3 What g          around, c             around.
4 Nothing v                     , nothing g               .
5 Let’s c             that bridge when we c          to it.
6 When in R         , do as the R                do.

4 Complete the sentences with the words from the box and underline the correct proposition.
pity     giving     kick        took       hindsight second opportunity
1 It’s a   pity   I didn’t take up  / off dancing when I was younger.
2 I could                 myself for not giving off / up smoking years ago.
3 She was brought up / on to love reading and                 to writing novels in her 30s.
4 I’m having                 thoughts about taking on / over more staff.
5 With                , I wish we’d travelled more before we settled in / down.
6 I put on / off going to university when I was younger. I realise now it was a missed                .

PRONUNCIATION
5 Underline the word with a different vowel sound in bold.
1 wish    website    lyrics   pity
2 brought autobiography around august
3 grown   Romans   bought   phone
4 settle   grew     website    second
5 poetry   opportunity   biography   blog
6 manga   manual   take    magazine

FUNCTIONS
6 Complete the sentences with the words from the box
fan      on           into         about        is          what thing            that        stand      don’t      quite

1 I’m a big   fan   of Manga comics. I grew up with them.
2 I’m not                 keen on his music. The lyrics are so depressing.
3 What I                 like about blogs                 that most of them are nonsense.
4 I couldn’t                 poetry when I was at school but I’m                 keen                 it now.
5 I’m not                 reading gossip magazines.                 I really love are detective novels.
6 The                 I like                 website forums is that there’s a wide range of different opinions.


KEY TEST 1

1:       2 ’d been / rang / hesitated / picked
          3 were having / began / jumped
          4 been reading / noticed / missed
2:       2d  3f  4a  5b  6e
3:       2 life / hope
          3 cross / come
          4 Rome / Romans
          5 goes / comes
          6 ventured / gained
4:       2 thoughts / down
          3 up / missed
          4 gutted / out
          5 kick / off
          6 up / took
5:       2 bought  3 grew  4 take  5 around
          6 forum
6:       2 What / that  3 couldn’t / it  4 The / about
          5 keen  6 I’m / into / love

KEY TEST 2

1:       2 been studying / realised / missed
          3 ’d been / started / took / called
          4 arrived / had set / was rising
2:       2f  3b  4a  5d  6e
3:       2 smoke / fire
          3 goes / comes
          4 ventured / gained
          5 cross / come
          6 Rome / Romans
4:       2 kick / up
          3 up / took
          4 second / on
          5 hindsight / down
          6 off / opportunity
5:       2 around  3 bought  4 grew  5 poetry
          6 take
6:       2 that  3 don’t / is  4 stand / quite / on
          5 into / What  6 thing / about



No comments:

Post a Comment