Saturday 18 April 2015

MULTIPLE CHOICE CLOZE TEST: ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE

Here you have a multiple choice cloze test, choose the best answer A, B, C or D, for each gapped space.
The key is bellow the test.
Have a nice weekend!

ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE 


Read the text below and decide which word, A, B, C or D, best fits each space. 

Stamp collecting! What a wonderful hobby! I began when I was only five. I used to (1) ………… for the postman’s arrival, always (2) ………… to seize unwanted envelopes and tear off the corner with the stamp stuck on it. 
Once – I remember it all too clearly – my mother and father were sunning themselves in the garden when the post (3) ………… on the doormat. I heard the clatter of the letter flap and hurriedly went to (4) ………… . There were four or five envelopes, all with very enticing stamps. 
Even at the (5) ………… age of five I knew one doesn’t open mail addressed to other people. However, tearing just the corners off the envelopes (6) ………… me as perfectly fair and allowable, and that’s what I did. I carefully tore as (7) ………… to the stamps as (8) ………… , feeling that even the envelopes, which were addressed to my parents and not to me, should be treated with (9) ………… . 
There was nothing furtive in what I did. I knew my parents would see what I’d done, and I didn’t think there was any (10) ………… in it. They always let me (11) ………… the corners after they’d opened them. Why should I think there was any harm in doing it first, (12) ………… in mind that they weren’t on hand to be (13) ………… ? Wouldn’t they rather be left to doze in their summer deckchairs? 
 (14) ………. , though, my father solemnly showed me his letters. They looked distinctly moth-eaten, with bites taken out of the corners and sides. I began to (15) ………… what I’d done! 

1 A stare                B watch                C look                D peer
2 A glad                 B pleased             C eager               D excited
3 A came               B was                   C lay                   D arrived
4 A investigate      B observe             C see                   D notice
5 A junior              B tender               C small                D little
6 A struck             B seemed              C appeared         D felt
7 A nearby            B close                 C next                 D round
8 A able                B possibly             C possible          D could
9 A gentleness      B caution              C honour            D respect
10 A trouble         B wrong                C bad                 D harm
11 A take             B tear                     C cut                  D remove
12 A having         B holding              C bearing           D keeping
13 A consulted    B advised              C queried            D allowed
14 A After           B Then                  C Later               D Soon
15 A accept         B realize                C admit              D confess

 KEY 
1. B
2. C
3. D
4. A
5. B
6. A
7. B
8. C
9. D
10. D
11. D
12. C
13. A
14. C
15. B

No comments:

Post a Comment