Wednesday 19 November 2014

Quick Test Unit 1

Hello girls!
To begin with this blog page, and as we have finished Unit 1, I let you here the Quick Test of this unit.


GRAMMAR
1 Complete the second question so that it has the same meaning as the first.
1 What time does the film start?
Could you   tell me what time the films starts  ?
2 What’s the weather like?
Can I ask                                                   ?
3 Have you ever flown a plane before?
I was wondering                                                   .
4 Who’s he working for?
Do you know                                                   ?
5 Who painted that wonderful picture?
Do you mind me                                                   ?
6 How much did you have to pay for it?
I’d be interested                                                   .



10

2 Underline the correct alternative.
1 I  haven’t seen / didn’t see any good films recently.
2 She loved / ’s loved reading when she was a girl and started / has started writing her first novel last week.
3 He never was / ’s never been very interested in fixing things but lately he ’s done / did quite a few repairs around the house.

4 She s played / played the violin in an orchestra for five years before she ’s become / became a soloist.
5 I ’ve learnt / learnt more over the past fortnight with our new teacher than I have / did for the previous two years.
6 We ’ve watched / watched that crime drama series for six weeks – the ending s been / was very disappointing.



10

VOCABULARY
3 Complete the words in the sentences.
1 She’s not shy but she likes to k e e p to herself.
2 When I was a student, I could dance until the
e             hours.
3 He’s the boss’s son but he still has to pull his
w                in the company.
4 One thing I hate more than anything is
tight-f                people.
5 She’s such a p                person, she’ll be an excellent teacher.
6 He’s very p                            about tidiness, which makes him impossible to live with.



5


4 Complete the sentences with the correct adjective or noun form of the word in brackets.
1 He couldn’t control his   frustration   after losing the match. (frustrate)
2 We were really                      when our flight was cancelled due to the strike. (disappoint)
3 The most                      moment of my life was when I forgot my lines in the school play. (embarrass)
4 He had to resign from his high-powered job, suffering from                     . (exhaust)
5 We were not                      with the service in the restaurant. It was terrible! (satisfy)
6 I believe there are more                      than differences between people from different cultures. (similar)


10

PRONUNCIATION
5 Underline the stressed syllable in each word.
1 nervous
2 generosity
3 awkwardness
4 anxiety
5 exhausted
6 embarrassed


5

FUNCTIONS
6 Match sentences 1–6 with responses a)–f).
1 Can you tell me what time the matinée performance starts?                 b  
2 I’d be grateful if you could help me with this application form.                    
3 Would you mind telling me when I can sign up for swimming classes?                       
4 I’d like to enquire about the two-for-one deal.                   
5 I was wondering if I could cancel my tickets and get my money back.                       
6 Would you by any chance have any places left on the course?                    

a) Of course not. Enrolments start on Monday.
b) At 2.30 p.m.
c) Certainly sir. The offer is valid for lunch on weekdays.
d) I’m sorry, they’re non-refundable.
e) Of course. Which job are you applying for?
f) No, I’m afraid it’s full. We had a very limited enrolment.



10


Total:
50

ANSWER KEY
1:       2 what the weather’s like?
          3 if you’d ever flown a plane before.
          4 who he’s working for?
          5 asking who painted that wonderful picture?
          6 to know how much you had to pay for it.
2:       2 loved / started
          3 ’s never been / ’s done
          4 played / became
          5 ’ve learnt / did
          6 watched / was
3:       2 early  3 weight  4 fisted  5 people
          6 particular
4:       2 disappointed  3 embarrassing  
          4 exhaustion  5 satisfied  6 similarities
5:       2 generosity  3 awkwardness  4 anxiety  5 exhausted  6 embarrassed
6:       2e  3a  4c  5d  6f

Have a nice day! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment